Knowledge Base (KB)
Template for SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise
The Knowledge Base (KB) application template for Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations provides a place where team members can upload and tag documents so that others can more easily find and learn from others in their organization. The template can be utilized in a ‘top down’ approach, where a centralized knowledge department ‘pushes down’ relevant content to the rest of the business. Or, the template can be used in a ‘bottom up’ approach, where knowledge is captured by all users as a normal part of doing business which can then be disseminated to others within the organization. All documents and articles in the Knowledge Base can have keywords, categories, and sub-categories associated with them and can also link to related documents, standardizing and simplifying the process of locating relevant information.
Sample Activities Performed in this Template:
The following examples show the various ways Net2xs anticipates this template will be utilized in a typical organization. If you wish to add additional features, please ask your IT provider to research Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 or contact Sales.O365@net2xs.com and ask for a quote for customization of the Knowledge Baseapplication template.
- Upload single or multiple files into the document library.
- Automated version control and version restore capabilities protect against accidentally writing over critical work while tracking who makes changes to both the document and properties.
- Enable users to ‘check out’ the document for offline editing. While the document is checked out, other users can open a read-only copy, but cannot edit and save changes.
- Designate version as a “Major Revision”, which allows users to enter notes regarding the revision. When viewing previous versions, SharePoint Online designates the revision as a major version alerting users to its status.
- Search the Knowledge Base using the built in search capabilities of SharePoint Online.
- View a dashboard with a filtered view of Recent Additions, Recent Changes and Relevant Items.
- Create a keyword, upload a document and “Write an Article”, which simplifies the end user learning curve for common Knowledge Base actions.
- Tag a Knowledge Base document with relevant keywords and provide links to related documents which can be used to sort and search for relevant knowledge base articles.
Site Lists and Libraries:
The following lists and libraries are included in this template.
- Knowledge Base: A list used to write and store Knowledge Base Articles and Documents to be shared with the team.
- Categories: Use the Categories list to manage major groups of documents for ease of sorting and grouping.
- Keywords: Use the list to manage the keywords that are required to tag items in your Knowledge Base.
- Review Tasks: Knowledg Manager Task list used to manage Reviews, Approvals, and Rejection schedules.
- Experts: Use the experts list to add keywords to contacts to link users with there Knowledge skills.
Customized Forms, Workflows and Web Parts:
- Article Creation: Custom workflow used to notifiy the Knowledge Manager of a new KB Article pending review and approval.
- Approval: Custom workflow used to approve a Knowledge Base Article and notify the creator of the approval.
- Rejection: Custom workflow used to reject a Knowledge Base Article and notify the creator of the rejection.
The “Knowledge Base” Solutions Template KB_SP2010e.wsp was designed specifically for compatibility with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations. This Application Template is based on the Microsoft “Fab40” Template of the same name to provide similar functionality in a Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise environment. Some customization and workflows may be necessary for approvals and compatibility with your companies’ permissions/user groups. Most workflows and “Views” have already been configured generically.