Document Library and Review (DLR)
Template for SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise
The Document Library and Review (DLR) application template for Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations helps teams manage the review and feedback on documents. The template begins by providing Document Workspace functionality, such as allowing team members to upload documents, automatically retain old versions and check the document out for editing offline. Additional functionality is then built in to allow the users to designate which versions are ‘Published as a Major Version’, allowing team members to track which versions are critical to the review process.
The Document Library and Review template also adds the unique feature of allowing threaded discussions on each document directly within the Windows SharePoint Services site. This allows users to manage and retain threads regarding a document in the same place where the document resides. The site administrator can utilize the features included within the template to view discussion threads, filter by topic, or create other customizable views.
Sample Activities Performed in this Template:
The following examples show the various ways Net2xs anticipates this template will be utilized in a typical organization. If you wish to add additional features, please ask your IT provider to research Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 or contact Sales.O365@net2xs.com and ask for a quote for customization of the Document Library and Reviewapplication template.
- Upload single or multiple files into the document library.
- Automated version control and version restore capabilities protect against accidentally writing over critical work.
- Enable users to ‘check out’ the document for offline editing. While the document is checked out, other users can open a read-only copy, but cannot edit and save changes.
- Organize documents into three categories: Recent Additions, Recent Changes and My Documents. This categorization dashboard allows users to quickly see which documents have been uploaded and which have been recently changed. It also allows users to quickly locate documents they have uploads, by automatically providing a filtered view of the documents they’ve uploaded.
- Manage conversation about a document with threaded discussions. This feature allows users to start a discussion and reply to others’ comments. The template organizes the threads by document, enabling easier tracking of the discussion document. When used together with an RSS reader, such as the one included in Microsoft Office Outlook® 2010, end users can subscribe to feeds directly from the SharePoint Online site. This enables end users to keep track of updates to the threaded discussions without the need to constantly check the Document Library and Review (DLR) template.
Site Lists and Libraries:
The following lists and libraries are included in this template.
- Documents for Review: A list used to manage documents submitted for team review.
- Announcements: Use the Announcement list to post messages to the home page of your site.
- Document Review Discussions: A list to track document review discussions by document version.
- Review Tasks: Document Review tasks list to capture tasks associated with a particular document.
Customized Forms, Workflows and Web Parts:
There is a custom workflow to automaticaly create a new discussion topic and review task each time a new document is added to the site while notifiying the creator of the document of the task and to asign reviewers to the task.
The “Document Library and Review” Solutions Template DLR_SP2010e.wsp was designed specifically for compatibility with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations. This Application Template is based on the Microsoft “Fab40” Template of the same name to provide similar functionality in a Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise environment. Some customization and workflows may be necessary for approvals and compatibility with your companies’ permissions/user groups. Most workflows and “Views” have already been configured generically.