Discussion Database (DD)
Template for SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise
The Discussion Database (DD) application template for Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations helps teams organize track public discussions on topics generated by team members. When a new discussion topic is generated, the owner designates a category, which helps structure the discussions so they can more easily be located by those interested in the content. Additionally, team members can subscribe to the RSS feed of the discussion database through an RSS reader such as Microsoft Office Outlook 2010.
Sample Activities Performed in this Template:
The following examples show the various ways Net2xs anticipates this template will be utilized in a typical organization. If you wish to add additional features, please ask your IT provider to research Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 or contact Sales.O365@net2xs.com and ask for a quote for customization of the Discussion Databaseapplication template.
- Category Creation: Site owners have the capability of creating categories that team members can use to group interrelated discussions. When a new discussion topic is created, the user selects a category, which allows grouping of discussions by category name within the site.
- Site Based Discussions: The Discussion Database allows users to discuss topics directly from the Discussion Database site. Users can post replies to topics which are visible to all members of the web by using the ‘reply’ button. The main page of the site makes it easier for members to track recent discussions by listing both recently created topics and recently updated discussion threads separately.
- RSS Feeds and integration with Office Outlook 2010: Users also have the capability of viewing discussions from within an RSS Reader such as that provided with Office Outlook 2010. Instead of forcing users to visit the site track updates, Windows SharePoint Services sends updates to Office Outlook 2010 clients at intervals set by the IT administrator. Team members can use Office Outlook 2010 to forward the discussion to an email address, or can click the ‘view article’ hyperlink to access the Discussion Database site and post a reply. When synchronized for offline capabilities, Office Outlook 2010 also allows users to read the posts to the Discussion Database while offline, helping productivity improve when a user is out of the office.
Site Lists and Libraries:
The following lists and libraries are included in this template.
- Discussions: This discussion board is used to house all the discussions held on the site.
- Discussion Categories: The discussion categories help group related discussions and can be chosen by team members as they create new discussion topics.
Customized Forms, Workflows and Web Parts:
There are custom forms created to ease the creation of new bugs, bug categories and milestones. These custom forms are .aspx forms created with Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2010 which can be used to enter information directly into the list in the correct format.
The “Discussion Database” Solutions Template DD_SP2010e.wsp was designed specifically for compatibility with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations. This Application Template is based on the Microsoft “Fab40” Template of the same name to provide similar functionality in a Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise environment. Some customization and workflows may be necessary for approvals and compatibility with your companies’ permissions/user groups. Most workflows and “Views” have already been configured generically.