Expense Reimbursement and Approval (ERA)
Template for SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise
The Expense Reimbursement and Approval (ERA) application template for Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations helps companies track and organize employee expense reports. Using Microsoft Office InfoPath 2010, employees create an expense report listing trip information and expenses. The Office InfoPath 2010 document, which can be created either offline or online, is then saved to a folder on the Expense Reimbursement and Approval site, which automatically populates fields that are viewable from within the site. Site owners can then choose to approve, reject or hold the expense report for original receipts. This status appears on each user’s unique home page, which shows their userID’s submitted expense reports and the status for each one.
In addition to helping teams simplify the process of submitting and approving expense reports, the site also allows Human Resources managers to upload expense related documents, such as travel policies or approved hotel chains. Also included are announcements and tasks, which can be used to track items pertaining to the expense approval process.
Sample Activities Performed in this Template:
The following examples show the various ways Net2xs anticipates this template will be utilized in a typical organization. If you wish to add additional features, please ask your IT provider to research Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 or contact Sales.O365@net2xs.com and ask for a quote for customization of the Expense Reimbursement and Approval application template.
- Create an Expense Report: Using an Office InfoPath 2010 template provided with the Expense Reimbursement and Approval application template, site users create an expense report with personal and trip information as well as line item expenses. The document includes fields for expense code, department and manager information as well as categories for expense items. By utilizing Office InfoPath 2010, site users have the capability of creating expense reports whether on the corporate LAN or not, and can re-use and modify old expense reports for reoccurring expense submissions. Once a report is completed, users upload it to the expense report library on the site, which enables site owners to begin the workflow of approving or rejecting the submission.
- Approval Process: Once an expense report has been submitted, site owners can begin the workflow process of approving or rejecting the submission. By right clicking and selecting “Approve/Reject”, approvers can change the status of the submitted report and add comments, such as a request for original receipts. Clicking “ok” saves the changes, which appear on the submitting employee’s home page, alerting them of the expense report’s status. The system allows only Site Owners to run the ‘approve / reject’ workflow, and also disallows individuals to run the workflow on their own expense report submissions.
- Human Resources Information: The site enables the Human Resources department to facilitate communication of travel announcements and policies through the website. The team can use the site to upload and store travel related documents, giving site users a single location to find information on appropriate expense report usage. The system can also be used to inform users of approved vendors or of discounts such as airfare discount announcements or hotel room blocks for companywide events.
Site Lists and Libraries:
- Expense: This document library houses the Office InfoPath 2007 documents that serve as expense report submissions. All related information from the submitted expense reports is also stored here, including properties on approval status, submitting user and comments.
- Information: This document library can be used to upload information related to expense report and travel policies.
- Announcements: Use the announcements list to post messages on the home page of the Expense Reimbursement and Approval site for all site users to read.
- Tasks: Use the Tasks list to keep track of work that the team needs to complete.
The “Expense Reimbursement and Approval” Solutions Template ERA_SP2010e.wsp was designed specifically for compatibility with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise Installations. This Application Template is based on the Microsoft “Fab40” Template of the same name to provide similar functionality in a Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard | Enterprise environment. Some customization and workflows may be necessary for approvals and compatibility with your companies’ permissions/user groups. Most workflows and “Views” have already been configured generically.