Description: Knowledge Base
The Knowledge Base
application template for Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Standard / Enterprise Installations
provides a place where team members can upload and tag documents so that others can more easily find and learn from others in their organization. The template can be utilized in a ‘top down’ approach, where a centralized knowledge department ‘pushes down’ relevant content to the rest of the business. Or, the template can be used in a ‘bottom up’ approach, where knowledge is captured by all users as a normal part of doing business which can then be disseminated to others within the organization. All documents and articles in the Knowledge Base can have keywords, categories, and sub-categories associated with them and can also link to related documents, standardizing and simplifying the process of locating relevant information.
Sample Activities Performed in this Application Template
The following examples show the various ways Net2xs anticipates this template will be utilized in a typical organization. If you wish to add additional features, please ask your IT provider to research Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 or contact Sales.O365@net2xs.com
and ask for a quote for customization of the Knowledge Base
- Upload single or multiple files into the document library.
- Automated version control and version restore capabilities protect against accidentally writing over critical work while tracking who makes changes to both the document and properties.
- Enable users to ‘check out’ the document for offline editing. While the document is checked out, other users can open a read-only copy, but cannot edit and save changes.
- Designate version as a “Major Revision”, which allows users to enter notes regarding the revision. When viewing previous versions, SharePoint Online designates the revision as a major version alerting users to its status.
- Search the Knowledge Base using the built in search capabilities of SharePoint Online.
- View a dashboard with a filtered view of Recent Additions, Recent Changes and Relevant Items.
- Create a keyword, upload a document and “Write an Article”, which simplifies the end user learning curve for common Knowledge Base actions.
- Tag a Knowledge Base document with relevant keywords and provide links to related documents which can be used to sort and search for relevant knowledge base articles.
Site Lists and Libraries:
The following lists and libraries are included in this template.
- Knowledge Base: A list used to write and store Knowledge Base Articles and Documents to be shared with the team.
- Categories: Use the Categories list to manage major groups of documents for ease of sorting and grouping.
- Keywords: Use the list to manage the keywords that are required to tag items in your Knowledge Base.
- Review Tasks: Knowledg Manager Task list used to manage Reviews, Approvals, and Rejection schedules.
- Experts: Use the experts list to add keywords to contacts to link users with there Knowledge skills.
Customized Forms, Workflows and Web Parts:
- Article Creation: Custom workflow used to notifiy the Knowledge Manager of a new KB Article pending review and approval.
- Approval: Custom workflow used to approve a Knowledge Base Article and notify the creator of the approval.
- Rejection: Custom workflow used to reject a Knowledge Base Article and notify the creator of the rejection.